Update as of 25th September 2015 - www.lixwmvillage.co.uk

Update as of 25th September 2015

Roll out News, Dates etc
Admin
Site Admin

Update as of 25th September 2015

Postby Admin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:07 pm

Just received this email this morning from another villager on the mountain.

"Hi, Thought we should share some info seeing as openreach don't! Halkyn Cabinet 6 is a new cabinet in Rhosesmor by the church and went live for fibre this week. (Rhosesmor was previously fed by cabinet 4) Cabinet 5 is already live as we know, that's the one right by the exchange. (Anyone currently on an exchange only line is being rerouted through cab 5 so as to avoid FTTH installation costs) I don't know where cabinet 4 is located but that is next to be enabled. I know nothing of 1-3 or if they even exist. We will get there in the end! "

Jobe

Re: Update as of 25th September 2015

Postby Jobe » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:44 am

My son has tweeted Superfast-Cymru a few times over the past couple of months, they are consistent in their replies that the Cab4 for Lixwm will be activated around June 2016. They state it will be offering FTTP at that time too.
So, it still some way off!

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:17 pm

I was at the Blue Bell at Halkyn last weekend and their wifi was hitting 12MB sat outside!

moelycrio

Postby moelycrio » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:53 pm

If anyone has visited superfast-cymru lately it now says no superfast broadband for lixwm.
Regards

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:39 am

I have checked with superfast cyrmu website this morning and there is conflicting news. These are the responses after firstly putting post code in then secondly phone number

Under review

If you've searched using your postcode please use your phone number if possible as this is more accurate than a post code check.

Based on the information you've provided, this cabinet isn’t currently in plan to be upgraded as part of the Superfast Cymru rollout. We understand that this is disappointing news. You may wish to investigate the Welsh Government Access Broadband Cymru Scheme which could be an option for you (insert link to ABC website).

With home number:

FTTP In Scope

Your area is in scope for the roll out of Fibre to the Premise (FTTP), although it's possible that the technology may change.

Work is ongoing to deploy the fibre network locally, however there's no guarantee of fibre service at individual premise level.

Register with us via our website and we'll send you an email as and when your location gets upgraded

You will have to check you're individual home numbers for install news and I have contacted @superfastcymru for their clarity on this

moelycrio

Postby moelycrio » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:13 pm

I wrote to our assembly member asking about this development and got this reply
"
Dear Moelycrio
Living just down the road with similar problems I quite understand your frustration.
I recently raised the issue of lack of and confusing information and will do again with reference to your specific enquiry.
On Friday I "cornered" a BT man in a superFast van outside.
He could not give me information but not surprisingly said I was not the first asking!
I will get back to you. Might be NewYear.
Sandy
"
It would appear the welsh assembly have no more idea what BT are doing than us. I'll let you know her answer.
regards

Jobe

Postby Jobe » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:14 pm

If the best we can get from a local A.M. is for her to corner passing BT engineers in the street then we have no hope!

Tweeted BT they state that the cab4 will not be upgraded, however with my phone number they do say that FTTP will offered instead.

I am unsure about FTTP, it was massively expensive to install a few years ago and eventually dropped from the BT website, coupled with a huge monthly contract, so I am not hopeful unless BT are going to offer a FTTP service more price friendly.

It is typical that comply with legislation and govt promises the halkyn exchange was enabled allowing the politicians to praise themselves for a job well done, when in actual fact according to the BT website the Halkyn exchange although enabled, is only serving 14% of its users.!!!?

Latest graphs on thinkbroadband show that rural users are still massively under represented in the broadband arena, and this trend shows no signs of waning, it remains more profitable to further increase speeds in urban areas than it is to get rural areas connected.

I wonder how urban dwellers would feel if rural areas did the same with their agricultural and meat / dairy farming capabilities? Would the big cities who have no agriculture be happy if us in the rural areas were eating meat and having drinking milk whilst they only got a few scraps now and then as it is not profitable to expert from rural areas to cities>>>>????

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:52 am

Here are some stats sat in the Blue Bell Inn, Halkyn on their wifi...
Attachments
wifi speeds.jpg
wifi speeds.jpg (209.79 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

myself

Postby myself » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:42 pm

Admin wrote:Here are some stats sat in the Blue Bell Inn, Halkyn on their wifi...

That's definetly Fibre Broadband with that upload speed. Last time I went through Halkyn, I think I managed to spot the fibre cabinet. It's on that small lane that diverges of the main road, down from the Blue Bell.

I really don't understand Openreachs logic. They've placed a Fibre Cabinet in Halkyn, where residents could already get speeds close to 24megabits through ADSL (as they're really close to the exchange), yet seemingly haven't done any work on giving fibre to the villages further away from the exchange with super slow speeds. Surely it would make more sense to give Fibre to the villages with the slowest internet? That's what fibre is designed for, super fast speeds over long distances. I really think they need to start using their noodles a little bit more!

moelycrio

Postby moelycrio » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:14 pm

Thanks to Sandy Mewies I had a response as to the current situation as per what BT have told the welsh assembly .

"Although understanding moelycrio's confusion at the seemingly conflicting responses, the information regarding the provision of superfast broadband to his home via fibre to the premises (FTTP) technology by March 2016 currently remains correct.
FTTP technology delivers superfast broadband connectivity to homes via a connection directly from the local exchange irrespective of whether the nearest cabinet has been upgraded. The decision by BT not to upgrade the cabinet should have no bearing on the delivery of broadband via FTTP.
FTTP technology is used when the distance between an enabled cabinet and a premise(s) is too great to carry a reliable and robust connection over existing copper cabling. The original decision to enable the cabinet has been reversed to ensure a better connection to premises within the postcode area. However, blanket FTTP connection to a specific postcode area is not shown on the Superfast Cymru website checker due to the technology being allocated on a home by home basis.
Officials are in discussion with colleagues at BT regarding the functionality of the website to address instances such as this in the future."

Personally I am sceptical however I now have the email address of the person from the welsh assembly in the know , so I wait until April to progress.

Return to “Current Installation News”